The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences recently announced that nine distinct scientific and technical investigations have been launched for 2019.
These investigations are made public so that individuals and companies with devices or claims of innovation within these areas will have the opportunity to submit achievements for review. The Academy’s Scientific and Technical Awards Committee has started investigations into the following areas:
- Professional desktop monitors with self-calibration
- Head-mounted facial acquisition systems
- Wireless video transmission systems used in motion picture production
- Frameworks enabling high-performance ray-geometry intersections
- Hair simulation toolsets
- Audio repair and restoration software for motion pictures
- Automatic dialog post-synchronization systems
- Costume, prop, hair and makeup tracking and inventory communication tools for physical production
- Post-production tracking and scheduling systems
“The science and technology of filmmaking is constantly evolving and advancing. Each year, the Academy researches technology that has had a significant impact on the motion picture arts. This year, we are examining a distinct group of technologies, which includes hair simulation, facial capture and audio repair,” said Doug Roble, chair of the Scientific and Technical Awards Committee. The current awards cycle will commence with a series of exhaustive investigations, conducted by a committee made up of industry experts with a diversity of expertise, and culminate with the Scientific and Technical Awards ceremony in June.”
The deadline to submit additional entries is Tuesday, September 17, at 5 p.m. PT. For more information on the Scientific and Technical Awards or to submit a similar technology, click here.
After thorough investigations are conducted in each of the technology categories, the committee will meet in the spring to vote on recommendations to the Academy’s Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The Scientific and Technical Awards Presentation will be held on Saturday, June 20, 2020.